Saturday, June 11, 2011

Aimee Mann

My first contact with the music of Aimee Mann was the movie Magnolia in 1999. It was an outstanding film - with outstanding music. The score was created by Jon Brion, the songs were mostly from Aimee Mann. The soundtrack was nominated for an Oscar, a Golden Globe and 3 Grammys. I was completely flashed by these tunes.


While Jon Brion released his superb first (and I still hope not his last) record "Meaningless" about one year later and sadly stopped making records, Aimee Mann continued her successful solo career.

The following records sustained at this high standard: Bachelor No. 2 (Deathly, Red Vines, Save Me) in 2000, Lost in Space (This Is How It Goes, Humpty Dumpty, Lost In Space - the record has a wonderful 2CD special edition) in 2002, The Forgotten Arm (Going Through The Motions, That's how i knew this story would break my heart) in 2005 and @#%;*! Smilers (Freeway, 31 Today) in 2008.

There's one thing I still regret: in 2005 (maybe a year before or later) she was on tour here in Germany and there was a gig in Berlin - by that time I lived there. And ... I ... did not go to the concert. I still could kick myself for that.

PS: In 2011 Mann played a cleaning woman slightly based on herself (the music industry now being unprofitable) on the show Portlandia. It's hilarious (with a serious element of truth):


Main Discography:
1993 – Whatever
1995 – I'm with Stupid
1999 – Magnolia OST
2000 – Bachelor No. 2 or, the Last Remains of the Dodo
2002 – Lost in Space
2004 – Live at St. Ann's Warehouse
2005 – The Forgotten Arm
2006 – One More Drifter in the Snow (Christmas album)
2008 – @#%;*! Smilers

Songs for a lonely island:  Save Me, That's How I Knew This Story Would Break My Heart, Deathly, Pavlov's Bell, Wise Up, Today's The Day


 

No comments:

Post a Comment